How it all began...
Founded in 1913 as Garden Village Lawn Tennis Club, the club was based until September 1990 at Egerton Walk, Wrexham. For much of its long history Garden Village was the premier club in North Wales and had many successes as a club and in producing exceptional players. It holds a record number of victories in the North Wales Men’s Shield, and in 1983 reached the semi-final of the National Club Championship for men.
The move from Garden Village to Plas Coch Road came from a need to provide better facilities for all year round tennis. The old club was on a restricted site with no room for expansion, and the shale courts were unusable during the winter. The opportunity to become involved in the LTA’s Indoor Tennis Initiative scheme was too good to refuse. Sale of the freehold helped to finance the new centre and the club changed its name to Wrexham Lawn Tennis Club at the beginning of September 1990.
The aim of the ITI scheme is to give greater numbers of the public the opportunity to play tennis, and the centre is managed by a company formed by members of the club and the North Wales LTA on behalf of the local authority. Strong links exist between the centre and WLTC, with the additional facilities provided for use by club members.
The club has four outdoor courts at the centre, two of which are floodlit. Members also have the use of the changing rooms, bar and other facilities. The indoor courts are available to members on the same pay & play basis as the public but the Club does run indoor winter club nights on a Sunday evening 7pm - 9pm so that for a small weekly fee members still get the opportunity for year-round play.